Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: El Bulli: Cooking in Progress
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:08 pm 

Last weekend we went to see El Bulli: Cooking in Progress.

I'd say..
  • Too long. The material didn't warrant the length.
  • No point. It just kinda wanders around, and doesn't seem to know what to do with itself
  • Doesn't explain very well. It doesn't really explain well what he is doing, philosophically or concretely. You are left with some of "but, why??"
  • I'm not sure the film maker liked food. There doesn't seem to be any enthusiasm for the food, or food in general, or the chef.
  • I get the feeling the film-maker didn't approve. Some of the picked phrases seemed chosen for negative effect, like several times when ferran says taste doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because they are just exploring techniques and materials, but choosing that phrase and harping on it little seems like it was for a purpose. The film-maker also chooses several other quotes which have negative connotations when they are in isolation.

But ..... the food and location still looked fantastic and sounded fantastic. I enjoyed it despite the flaws. I seen a previous segment (Decoding Ferran Adria? I think...)about El Bulli that was, IMO, better and made you really want to go there and made you want to taste everything. This one was interesting, but didn't put me on fire to visit (not that you can anymore...)