Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Amy wrote:
marygott wrote:
Have I mentioned that I have a thing for Jamie?

Who doesn't...

Amy

I dunno, Jamie really doesn't do it for me. Actually, I can't say I find any of the current crop of male chefs attractive. Tyler Florence is OK, I guess, but not really anyone I'd look at twice if he wasn't famous. Grant Achatz is nice looking, though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:22 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Grant Achatz is nice looking, though.

Nice looking?!

Try drop-dead handsome.

Amy

P.S. Doesn't hurt that he's an incredible chef as well.

P.S.S. Jamie's just so damn cute, you can't help but like him, at least if you're a girl.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:23 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Kathy's Pete wrote:
Have you seen the TV ads saying "sugar is sugar, whether it comes from cane, beets or corn"?

It's not?

I thought the only problem with corn syrup was that you tend to eat a lot of it because it's not as sweet. I mean, it's not like eating a cup a day of Diamond Crystal would be exactly good for you, either.

Table sugar is primarily sucrose. Corn Syrup is primarily glucose. Honey is both fructose & glucose. HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) has been chemically altered with enzymes to turn some of the glucose into fructose, matching the glucose/fructose ratios in honey, thereby making it sweeter. They are still all sugars.

The debate is over whether or not HFCS messes with your metabolism and your blood sugar, and by some secret magic dissolves your willpower and causes you to eat more and become obese. One of the arguments is that HFCS allows manufacturers to produce cheaper foods, thereby making them more affordable to the already obese masses. (Of course the argument doesn't take into account cheap french fries or potato chips). There's not a lot of good science on this. The only real money put into research is from the food manufacturers (no surprise there).

The single biggest use of HFCS is soft drinks. I'm hard pressed to see where the use of any particular sweetener is contributing to our communal obesity more than just the sheer quantity of soft drinks we consume.

Personally, the extra 40 pounds I carry with me daily has more to do with the quantities of butter, cream, cheese & wine I consume.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Amy wrote:
TheFuzzy wrote:
Grant Achatz is nice looking, though.

Nice looking?!

Try drop-dead handsome.

Well, he's a little skinny for me. Looks like Christian Bale's skinny younger brother, and Bale is no heavyweight. All that molecular gastronomy doesn't put much meat on a guy. ;-)

Quote:
P.S.S. Jamie's just so damn cute, you can't help but like him, at least if you're a girl.

Jamie's appeal is gender-specific I think. Kind of like Leonardo di Caprio, whose attraction also baffles me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:49 pm 

Truthfully, neither Jamie nor Leo do that much for me. If I lust after any chef, it would be Anthony Bourdain, but I've always had odd tastes. My current celebrity crush is on Robert Krulwich of Radiolab fame.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:50 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Amy wrote:
marygott wrote:
Have I mentioned that I have a thing for Jamie?

Who doesn't...

Amy

I dunno, Jamie really doesn't do it for me. Actually, I can't say I find any of the current crop of male chefs attractive. Tyler Florence is OK, I guess, but not really anyone I'd look at twice if he wasn't famous. Grant Achatz is nice looking, though.

I had to google Grant Achatz and, yes he is attractive, but Jamie and I have this spiritual thing that goes deeper than mere looks. And did you watch him make the pizza????

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:42 pm 

I'm with JesBelle - give me the bad boy. Also, Eric Ripert's charming French accent has me at bonjour...

Fuzzy, count me among the baffled for Leonardo DiCaprio. Also Robert Pattison. Ewww.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:08 pm 

I don't think guys get Leo DiCaprio, but you need to see him in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" to realize his extraordinary talent. DH doesn't like him, either.

I do like Jamie, but, I like foreign guys. My not-American-chef-of-choice is: Curtis Stone. (Even if he is blond.)