Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extreme Couponing on TLC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:14 pm 

Mindless tv night (after brutal not yet over workweek) and am watching this like a traffic rubbernecker. Thankfully, one of the people filmed donated his shopping to a local foodbank. Has anyone else watched this show? I don't know if I should be ashamed to admit that I can't stop watching.

Post subject: Re: Extreme Couponing on TLC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:36 pm 

PS: I use coupons whenever I can for the foods we eat and sympathize with those who have limited incomes. But show is not about need...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:38 pm 

Yes, I watched it. The woman had enough toilet paper to last 40 years? I can't imagine shopping like that. I'd hate to be behind her in line.
Only watched a bit of it. Had to get back to "Civil War."
fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:15 am 

I watched it, too. They got a lot of "junk" with their coupons. A lot of the stuff has expiration dates, and I don't know how they could use it up before it goes. Also, the places they shopped doubled dollar coupons, and no one around here would do that. I would love to do this, though, for the Food Pantry. I'm always trying to think of ways to help them.

I have an idea stores will start cracking down on this. Doubling coupons is supposedly to get people in the store - not to give food away.

IMO, they are just organized hoarders, but it was interesting to watch.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:23 am 

I have a friend who does this as a hobby. His basement is full of groceries and everything is marked in marker what he ended up paying for the item. He has 7 children and they are all married and have children of their own. They all shop in his basement, so it doesn't sit around for very long.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:29 am 

Most of the time coupons are for things I would never buy, mostly overly-processed crap. I wonder how healthy these people's diets are. I have never seen a coupon for fresh vegetables, for instance. (I haven't watched the show - no cable).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:45 am 

Darcie wrote:
Most of the time coupons are for things I would never buy, mostly overly-processed crap. I wonder how healthy these people's diets are. I have never seen a coupon for fresh vegetables, for instance. (I haven't watched the show - no cable).

I might use a coupon once or twice a year. I do remember about 10 years ago, Kroger had a sale on a small bag of cheese and they also had a coupon for the same product. The coupon when doubled covered the cost of the cheese, so it was free. I remember having fun with a lady when I saw that she was buying cheese. I went up to her and whispered "You want some free Cheese?" as I turned my head back and forth looking to make sure nobody else heard me. She looked at me like I was nuts until I pointed out the cheese and the coupon. She thanked me and we parted ways.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:00 am 

I agree, Darcie. As frugal as I am I do not use many coupons. Even If I can get boxes of crap for free why would I want it? I use them when it is something I would buy anyway, but I am brand loyal to a lot of things so it doesn't happen often.

I do save a ton of money though by usually never buying anything online without a coupon code and free shipping. I save a lot on our clothes especially. Basically every time Boden offers 20% off plus free shipping I order something for one of us, mostly the kids.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:09 pm 

I don't use coupons either, or at least rarely. But, I do get an email every week with the store circular, and I base my shopping list partly on what's on sale. I probably save about 10% every week, plus I get $.10 off each gallon of fuel for every $100 I spend in groceries. As I drive a clean diesel, that is important. Have you seen the price of diesel lately?!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:36 pm 

I'll use them for OTC meds, paper towels, t.p. -- basically non-food items. Once in a great while, I'll come across one for coffee, since I don't drink it (I just use it in recipes), I'll get whatever is on the coupon. I did score a bunch of peelies for $1 off Muir Glen tomatoes last week, though.

I miss Priceline's grocery gimmick. That was fun and I got t.p. for next to nothing.