Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FN's Chopped
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:23 pm 

Anyone else watch this? It has got to be one of the worst shows I have ever watched. And I watched it till the end. Tears? Please. This was ridiculous. Unless I'm missing something.
I need an intervention to stop watching this crap.
Please send me reading recommendations.
Or recipes.

Nancy

Post subject: Re: FN's Chopped
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:20 pm 

I caught the last couple minutes of an episode. I watched for about 30 seconds - horrible.

I've quit watching TV for the most part. Occasionally when I want to empty my brain I'll turn it on, but I've gone from 2+ hours per day to about 2 hours per week. One good thing about a really long commute, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:24 am 

Ya know, I rather like it. I know they milk it for drama to a ridiculous extent, and I wonder that no-one seems to have worked on cooking in a short window, but how the participants use the stuff is fun. Of course, we watch it on DVR, so it takes much less time.
I do laugh at how often they chefs say "I don't really do pastries...." Again with why not brush up your skills once you know you're on the show?
The walk-away comments are just silly. And the judges can be snarky for the heck of it. Don't know that I'd bother if the roommate didn't record it.
BeckyH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:10 am 

Rather than Chopped or NBC's Chopping Block, I've been enjoying Last Restaurant Standing on BBC America. The teams really have no skills worth exploiting (which might be part of the guilty pleasure) but the challenges seem to be more related to running a small restaurant than the challenges on Top Chef, for example.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:53 am 

I watch every now and then - I don't find it any worse than a lot of the mindless entertainment on the teevee today. I think judge Alex is needlessly snarky, and it makes me dislike her (although I don't hate her Loft show). There is no way I could take a basket of stupidly mismatched ingredients and make and plate anything edible in 30 minutes.

trink.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:07 pm 

I agree about Last Restaurant Standing. It's more engaging and more thoughfully produced. I don't watch it regularly but when I do catch it, it catches me.

And now Chopping Block has been chopped by NBC. That was a pretty bad show but again, edited just for drama. Which resulted in a show completely lacking in content. It was just amateur.

Back to reading and cooking for me!
Nancy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:32 am 

FN is all about entertainment. Sort of like watching wrestling or DOG.
Fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:31 pm 

I don't have the Food Network in my cable, so I have to go to a friends house to watch this show. He DVR's it and we have watched about four or five episodes. I really like watching this show. We have so much fun watching the Chefs sweat into the food and hearing the judges comments. We watched an episode last night and one of the chefs made it to the final round and in all three rounds he didn't finish on time, but yet he advanced each time. He didn't win, but it seems to me that if you don't finish in time, you should automatically be CHOPPED!!!!!!