Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you be a chef without a TV show?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:11 pm 

I don't watch Food TV. I find most of it very boring. If I want to know how to cook something, I will look in one of my cookbooks or online. This means that I know very little about the personalities, other than the really big ones (Emeril, the irony that is Anthony Bourdain, Paula Deen, a couple others). I recently met someone who is a Foodie. Not a foodie, a Foodie. She believes she is one of three competent cooks in upstate NY. Her oversized ego aside, she is interesting to talk to and does have some good tips on places to eat in the culinary desert that is Syracuse. We were talking about Mexican food and she mentioned Rick Bayless. I mentioned Diana Kennedy, who I think may have better recipes. It came out that she had never heard of Diana Kennedy and she asked if she had a cooking show. Apparently, if a person isn't on TV, s/he isn't a chef.

" Food that`s too safe, too pasteurized, too healthy - it`s bad! There should be some risk, like unpasteurized cheese. Food is about rot, and decay, and fermentation.as much as it is also about freshness."

-Anthony Bourdain

Post subject: Re: Can you be a chef without a TV show?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:48 pm 

Tim
Kennedy did have a show on The Learning Channel (the other TLC) many years ago. Your Foodie friend must not have watched food TV until there was a food network.
ilene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:52 pm 

I don't remember the last time I watched a cooking show...

Just saying.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:56 pm 

Well, I still watch ATK/CC, but there is no personality involved. ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:23 pm 

I stopped when Sara Moulton was dropped. That's when it seemed to go from authentic to demographics. In the beginning it was just about cooking, there weren't any pretenses, and I really miss that.
Nance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:22 am 

I watch some of the ones on the BBC and there are some very good ones. I am not a dedicated enough TV viewer to be able to watch any on a regular basis as I always forget when they are on and my TV set up is old school, it only turns on and off on demand. I was disappointed by what I saw in the US last summer, they seemed more about personalities and they were often grating. Gordon Ramsey on British television is quite a reasonable person, perhaps not cuddly but not the spewing pot of venom he is on Hell's Kitchen (I like him better on the one where the people have the horrid restaurants).

Tim, your new found capital-F foodie friend sounds like a good source of amusement (and restaurant tips). My daughter is applying to Syracuse for the fall so perhaps I may need to make use of her services.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:53 am 

marygott wrote:

Tim, your new found capital-F foodie friend sounds like a good source of amusement (and restaurant tips). My daughter is applying to Syracuse for the fall so perhaps I may need to make use of her services.

Mary

I can do my best for you and your daughter if you come up here. Culinary wasteland, unfortunately, has been my almost exclusive experience so far. I'll pass along what I've learned though. Perhaps we can even meet for coffee if you are in town.

" Food that`s too safe, too pasteurized, too healthy - it`s bad! There should be some risk, like unpasteurized cheese. Food is about rot, and decay, and fermentation.as much as it is also about freshness."

-Anthony Bourdain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:56 am 

Would love to meet up with you Tim. We won't find out where she was accepted for a few months still. She really wants to be in NYC so, for her sake, I hope she gets into one of the schools there. I won't tell her about the culinary wasteland part, she is quite worried about the lack of good bread in America already.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:28 am 

Canadian food tv is actually quite good at times. We have Laura Calder (French food at home), Michael Smith (Chef at Home), Alton Brown, and Ricardo (name of the cook and show). There are others I can't stand but I do enjoy those shows.
Someone called me a foodie the other day (in a nice way), I just consider myself as someone who likes food and likes to know what my kids are eating. Plus I'm pretty frugal and find that home cooking is a way that we can eat well and still pay down debts and afford the extras we like.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:45 am 

I don't think I would like to be called a foodie (no equivalent term here thank goodness). Makes me think of Star Trek conventions.

Mary